Medina of Tunis
Bab El Bhar
Bab el Bhar or in English is called The Sea Gate. Located at the East of Medina of Tunis as a city gate in Tunis, the capital of Tunisia. It is also known as Porte De France which means the gate of France because it marks the separation between the Medina of Tunis and the European city. Originally built during the Aghlabid period in the 9th century, rebuilt in the 18th century by the French. The stone ‘gate to the sea’ is made up of a lowered archway and topped by a crenellated parapet.
Located between the building of the Ministry of Religious Affairs and Dar-El Bey (also known as the government palace, is an old palace in the Medina of Tunis). Due to the dense urbanization in Medina, this square is the only green space found here.This square was previously open to the public before later on enclosed by the fences.
Sainte Croix Church
The Sainte-Croix Church of Tunis is located in the Medina of Tunis in Tunisia. It is a Roman Catholic church that was built in 1837 before the establishment of the French protectorate. Given to the Tunisian government in 1964, it now houses offices of the municipality.This church is the first chapel since the disappearance of Christian communities in the eleventh century. The appearance of this church was due to the settlement of a large number of convicts of Christian slaves who were captured before.
The Zaytuna Mosque, or "olive tree" mosque, was built in 732 CE on the ruins of an earlier Roman basilica in Medina of Tunis. The mosque was totally rebuilt a century later by Aghlabid amir Abu Ibrahim Ahmed to replicate another of his massive building undertakings, the Great Mosque at Kairouan.Previously, acting as home to the Zitouna University until the independence of Tunisia.